Friday, July 26, 2013

It costs nothing to say something kind.

Even less to shut up altogether.

That's Nathan Fillion's twitter bio. Of all the places to get something so deep. Twitter. Ha! The irony.

This idea has led me to seriously reconsider how much time I spend criticizing others, myself, and ideas. Because there is such great truth to be found in that. Kindness is far more rewarding than deprecation (self-inflicted or otherwise). It is so easy to slip into bad mouthing. Trash talking. Finding fault. But do any of those things bring about solutions? Do they help situations? No. As a general rule, they make the participant feel slightly better for a short while, but in the long term there is only hurt.

It's similar to the age old adage: "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

But it goes deeper than that. Because if we allow ourselves to be absorbed by negativity, we begin to discover that finding flaw is easier than finding strength. And that is a dangerous place to be. I know it, because I've lived there for some time. I have found it so easy to look at my circumstances and come to the conclusion that I am a failure, and that there is clearly something wrong with me.

And because of that self-deprecation, my self confidence has been slowly eroding away over time. I have missed out on greatness because I lost sight of a simple truth that I should know well. I am having to work hard to gain it back.

Don't be cruel. To yourself or others. I know better than most, it is a road that leads nowhere.

 Never let loyalty and kindness leave you!
    Tie them around your neck as a reminder.
    Write them deep within your heart.  Proverbs 3:3

No comments:

Post a Comment